Smoothie is a free, opensource, high performance and modular G-code interpreter and CNC control system for the Smoothieboard 32bits controller. The motion control part's ancient ancestor is the awesome grbl. The Source code is on GitHub ヾ(❀◦◡◦)彡
Step by step guides
- Configuring Smoothie : Configuration and use, by module
- List of all configuration options
- Motion control : All things related to gcode interpolation, motion and acceleration planning, and step generation
- Extruder : Control extruders for 3D printing
- Temperaturecontrol : Heat and cool things like hotends and heated beds
- Laser : For cutting
- Endstops : For homing
- Switch : Quickly create custom G-code ⇆ Input/Output mapping without needing to write a custom module, like to control a fan
- TemperatureSwitch : Automatically turn/on a device based on a threshold temperature, useful to control a fan or water pump on a 3D printer hot end
- ZProbe : probe the z height at current XY positions
- Drillingcycles : Canned drilling cycles support
- Player : Play files from the SD card
- Currentcontrol : Digitally control your stepper motors current
- Configurator : Manipulate configuration using console commands
- Kill/Pause Button and Playled : Interract with the pause subsystem
- Panel : Drive smoothie directly without a host using things like lcd screens, click encoders, and nunchucks
- Using Smoothie : General use
- Troubleshooting : It doesn't work (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ ! What to do ∩(︶▽︶)∩.
- MRI : In the particular case smoothie crashes
- Running Smoothie on a Breadboard
Note, Smoothieboards come completely pre-flashed, you do not need to compile or flash the firmware, unless you want to upgrade to a newer version, or to contribute to the code.
Available now : SmoothieBoard, the modular and awesome, smoothie-dedicated CNC controller.
- Powerful ( 100-120Mhz, 32bit ) yet cheap ( available at arduino-like prices ) micro-controller.
- Look-ahead acceleration management, resulting in smooth, jerk-free motion and enabling higher speeds.
- Can be used right now for CNC milling, laser cutting, and 3D printing. Laser engraving in progress.
- Opensource/hardware all-included controller board
- SD-Card allows host free printing, very simple configuration and update
- Composite USB Mass Storage + Serial interface to host.
- Free email support (✿◠‿◠).
- Modular, event driven design, allowing to add functionality easily without modifying the core. See the ModuleExample.
- Designed to support non-Cartesian machines ( rotational axes : wall drawer, SCARA robot, Delta/Parallel robot, Robotic arm, Spherical/Cylindrical robot, etc … ). Currently supported : Cartesian and H-Bot ( CoreXY ), Delta and Feather.
- LPC17xx leaves lots of room for additional functionality.
- The mBed functions and additional libraries are available for easy and fast prototyping. But compiles off-line ( using GCC ), not dependent on the mBed online compiler.
- Heavily commented code
The Smoothie firmware is free software developed by the awesome people with the help of the community. If you find this software useful, want to say thanks and encourage development, please consider a donation :
- HowItWorks : Walk-through the inner workings of Smoothie ( with graphics ( °٢° ) ).
- ModuleExample : Basics of working with Modules in Smoothie ( how to add functionality ).
- Listofevents : List of all Events you can register for.
- Developers-Guide : Information useful to smoothie coders
- LPC1769 pin usage : Documents all the pins used and which are spare
- DebuggingSmoothie : Using the built-in MRI serial debugger
- Eclipse : Using Eclipse IDE to build and debug
- Github : How to submit pull requests for Smoothie
- Third Party Branches : a list of useful branches to smoothie that may be helpful to some but are not included in the main branch
- Todo : Queue-Refactor
- Smoothie developer IRC forum on IRC in #smoothiedev @ irc.freenode.net